Reception Class teacher: Mrs Davies
Reception Class Teaching Assistant: Miss Harvey
Welcome to our Reception Class page, where we love to learn through play! We look forward to working together so that your child has an exciting, interesting and productive year.
Starting Reception is an important and exciting time for children and parents. Here in Reception we offer the children lots of opportunities to learn and explore through play within our continually changing provision areas (indoors and outdoors). The children will learn through a mixture of adult led and child-initiated learning, both of which are as equally important in a child's development.
Things that you can do at home to help your child:
• Reinforce the sounds covered in class using your child’s Phonics book. The children could practise writing over each letter with their finger in the cursive font or write with pencil underneath.
• Practise name writing. Please make sure your child uses lower case letters except for their initial letter.
• Share reading books, discussing plots, characters and their feelings, as well as simply decoding the text.
• Draw your child’s attention to numbers in their environment e.g. telephones, door numbers, car number plates etc. Count things around the home. How many windows do we have etc?
• Encourage your child to dress themselves for school and take their uniform off at the end of the day to promote independence.
We use the Letters & Sounds phonics programme at St Joseph’s.
http://www.mrthorne.com/ - very useful for pronunciation of sounds
http://www.phonicsplay.co.uk - lots of free phonic based games
http://ictgames.com/literacy.html- more phonics games