Reception Class teacher: Mrs Davies
Reception Class Teaching Assistant: Miss Dawson
Welcome to our Reception Class page, where we love to learn through play! We look forward to working together so that your child has an exciting, interesting and productive year.
Starting Reception is an important and exciting time for children and parents. Here in Reception we offer the children lots of opportunities to learn and explore through play within our continually changing provision areas (indoors and outdoors). The children will learn through a mixture of adult led and child-initiated learning, both of which are as equally important in a child's development.
Please don't forget to register your Class Dojo account to have regular updates about what your child is currently learning in class.
Things that you can do at home to help your child:
• Reinforce the sounds covered in class (using the letter formation rhymes). These will be provided in your child's book bag.
• Practise name writing. Please make sure your child uses lower case letters except for their initial letter.
• Share reading books, discussing plots, characters and their feelings, as well as simply decoding the text.
• Draw your child’s attention to numbers in their environment e.g. telephones, door numbers, car number plates etc. Count things around the home. How many windows do we have etc?
• Encourage your child to dress themselves for school and take their uniform off at the end of the day to promote independence.
We use the Read Write Inc phonics programme at St Joseph’s.
http://www.mrthorne.com/ - very useful for pronunciation of sounds
http://www.phonicsplay.co.uk - lots of free phonic based games
http://ictgames.com/literacy.html- more phonics games
Reception Class Read Write Inc Guidance for parents.
Reception Curriculum Goals
Each child learns differently and we know that this development is not linear. When writing our curriculum we take this into consideration and continuously adapt our curriculum to our current cohorts needs. When considering the end of year expectations Reception class use the EYFS Early Learning Goals. At St Joseph's, we have also created some over arching, achievable goals from each area of development, that show our aims for each child at the end of their Reception journey.
Reception Class Curriculum Overview